Sunday, May 18, 2014

Proper Fish and Chips

Looks like I haven't written anything for a while! It's really busy over here... Lots of music and choreography to be learned and memorized, as well as exploring all things English and spending time to get to know the town and people; that all said, it's been a blast and I couldn't be happier.

If there was one thing that could come close to the love I have for my family, friends, or puppy, it would be (surprise!) FOOD. If you know me at all, we've probably dined together (and there's probably been nothing on the plate at the end of the meal). I eat anything and everything (minus olives and veal), and I'm definitely an adventurous eater; I will try anything edible. So as part of my travels, I'm extremely excited to embark on new cuisine. I figured I'd start with one of the most traditional, tasty English dishes around--fish and chips.

I was in search for the most authentic, fresh fish and chips around... And it just so happens that it's right next to our cast's house! This is a hole-in-the-wall spot with a line coming out the door. It's take-away only, and seemed to be THE PLACE for Friday night dinner. Here are the women who make it all possible and whip up some delicious treats.




They offered a few other options too, like deep fried sausage, coleslaw, and some other British bites; but I asked my friends for the most authentic British option:

Fish, chips, and mushy peas!


Deep fried heaven

I had no idea what mushy peas were. They look a bit like vomit, but they're quite nice. They're exactly what you think they are, so I'm not even going to elaborate. The portions were HUGE, and served traditionally wrapped in paper; they also provided funny little wooden forks. 


Fish and chips wrapped in paper. Please take note of the swag denim jacket (haters back off)

The chips are served with "scraps" on top, which is essentially the leftover fried stuff that doesn't have any fish in it. HEALTHY!!!! When the woman serving me asked how I wanted them, I responded "the most traditional way... if you couldn't tell, I'm not from around here." She threw some salt and malt vinegar on them, and that was it! It was astonishing. 


It's not a commonly known fact, but if you enjoy it the calories don't count.

This will come as a shock to some.... I wasn't able to finish. THAT. MUCH. FOOD. And I just ordered a regular (I leave the large option to competitive eaters only). I enjoyed every morsel until I thought the big fried fishy was gonna swim back upstream, and I called it quits. Needless to say, it was amazing. Food adventure number 1 was a major success.. We'll see what other treats England has up her sleeve for me. And since this post really only had photos of fried fish in it, here's a photo of some of us that went out later that evening; because if there's anything my parents don't understand, it's photos without people ("why would you take a picture of something without a person in it? You can just get a postcard").

Paul (England), Emma (England), Ashley (England), Me (USA WADDUP), Perdro (Spain), and Masha (Belgium)

Keep it real y'all. Eat well this week!!

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment